Safe Christmas Tree Handling
There’s nothing that says ‘Christmas’ like a real Christmas tree with its fresh evergreen scent. Live trees are wonderful but be aware that your tree could be harboring pests that could be detrimental to your landscape and neighboring open space. The University of California pest management experts have these tips for preventing the spread of insects and diseases that might be in your Christmas tree or other holiday greenery:
- Buy your tree from a reputable dealer who complies with state and federal regulations.
- Take advantage of tree recycling programs which turn trees into compost. Many communities offer curb side pick up.
- If you don’t have a tree recycling program, take your tree to your local dump or landfill.
- Do not burn indoors as the fresh sap can cause fire hazards.
- Do not put in a brush pile on your property as insects and disease could escape into your landscape.
For more information visit the University of California ANR blog.
Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!