Got a Fountain? Create a Beautiful Thanksgiving Decoration!
On a recent trip to Sedona, Arizona we visited the Tlaquepaque arts and craft village which was decorated in stunning fashion for the fall. I was especially impressed with the way the fountains were enhanced with fresh cut flowers, greenery, pumpkins, and gourds. The visual impression was just stunning. Here are some photos and tips on how to create your own beautiful arrangement in your fountain to welcome guests for Thanksgiving day!
How to create a fountain arrangement:
- Purchase assorted cut flowers and greenery, pumpkins, gourds, decorative branches or twigs, spanish moss.
- Gather thin wire, wire cutters, rocks for weighting down bunches of flowers.
- Place large items like pumpkins and gourds in the fountain first, adjusting until the arrangement is balanced and pleasing to the eye.
- Place single cut flowers or greenery in the fountain as desired or make mini bouquets with the cut flowers secured with wire. Place among the pumpkins and gourds, securing wire to a rock if the bouquet tends to float away. The rock will weigh down the mini bouquet and keep it in place.
- Continue adding greenery, Spanish moss, twigs or branches until the arrangement is full.
- Follow the ‘thriller, filler, spiller’ technique of flower arranging by having tall or boldly colored ‘thrillers’, edge draping ‘spillers’, and finally ‘fillers’ to create a visually interesting and varied arrangement.
May you and your loved ones have a very Happy Thanksgiving!